Jack Hyles on COUNSELING & REBUILDING A LIFE FROM A LIFE OF SIN
1. Have regular visits with them. (weekly). Do not meet regularly with women.
2. Identify with them. Think of something you went through that is similar to their experience.
3. Remind him of Bible characters who were salvaged from a life of sin, and tell him what they did. (David, Moses, Abraham, Jonah, Peter, John Mark, Noah, Job, and Jacob.)
4. Assure him of God’s forgiveness. (I Jn. 1:9, Is. 55:7, 1:18)
5. Assure him he is still saved. (I Jn. 2:1, Rom. 4:5, Jn. 6:37, I Co. 3:12-15, Jn. 10:27-30)
6. Assure him of your forgiveness; Rom. 3:10, 3:12, 3:23, Is. 53:6. All have sinned.
7. Assure him of the forgiveness of most Christian people and church members.
8. Warn him that some will not forgive, and of possible criticism, and why people criticize.
9. Warn him of some things that he has forfeited. Explain the perfect will of God and the acceptable will of God.
10. Warn him that the confidence of Christians must be re-earned.
11. Warn him that he may sin again. (I Jn. 2:1)
12. You may want to send someone daily to pray and read the Bible with him. (one person each day of the week.)
13. Help him find one good friend.
14. Get him to church activities.
15. Let him know that you do not expect total victory immediately, but you only expect growth. (Matt. 5:48, be being perfect)
16. Let him know that he should only expect growth.
17. Get good books and good tapes in his hands.
18. Warn him not to go to fast.
19. Remind him to set a time every day to read the Bible. Remind him he may not understand it, and he may not get much out of it. (used strainers are clean.)
20. Remind him of the Holy Spirit and of His availability. (Rom. 8:9, I Co. 6:18-20, 2 Cor. 3:16)
21. Brag on the preacher, tell good things about him.
22. Get him to know the preacher.
23. Remind him to spend some time with God at the same time each day.
24. Don’t talk above him with spiritual vocabulary, use his vocabulary.
25. Don’t act above him. Don’t appear to be pious.